Death Penalty

Discussion in 'The Debate Corner' started by BasicLethargy, Jun 11, 2017.

• Welcome to Death Star Gamer

We strive to provide a friendly laid back community for new gamers as well as advanced players. Please take a moment to register and Join our community.
    Register Now
  • See what's new

Check out the most recent forum posts on our community.
  1. BasicLethargy

BasicLethargy New Member DSG Member

Being a Criminal Justice Major one of the topics I've had to repeatedly debate has been the Death Penalty.

Should the death penalty be allowed? or should it be considered cruel and unusual punishment?

There are many sides to this argument and I would like to discover what the opinions of others are.

(Note: Be Civil)

Here is mine,
    Sentences in the Criminal Justice system are generally designed to deter crime. The goal is to make people not commit crime because of fear of consequences. By allowing the Death Penalty for murder it ensures a punishment is possible that is the biggest fear most people have. Subsequently deterring the crime. Generally the Death Penalty is reserve for pre-meditated murder so the offenders would have the opportunity to consider the penalty before committing the crime, If they proceed then they knew the consequence.

But in general, I would reserve the death penalty for;
    Cop-Killers, Serial Killers, People who Commit Rape & Murder of the same individual, & Terrorists

• Like Like x 1
  2. SteveW

SteveW New Member DSG Member

"Be civil" - something a bit backwards about that considering the topic of conversation.... ;-)

I don't see sentences being that much of a deterrent. Seeing how full our prisons are in the UK, people either don't care or don't see it as bad enough to not commit the crime. Deterrents are points on your driving licence that cost you money in the short and long term - sentences are consequences, rather than deterrents.

Terrorists should most certainly face capital punishment, regardless of how much they prepare for it though their religions, its us and our views on justice that we care about not theirs.

Rape should be prison, plenty of people there who will be more than happy to give them some of that treatment.

Cop killers - why? they are just as human as civilians and should face equal punishment. Murder should, if absolutely certain be met eye for an eye. They have no right to live whilst knowingly taking the life of another.

3. OP
    OP
    BasicLethargy

Cool, I appreciate your opinion. I kind of view Sentences as both consequences and deterrents. As both are necessary for keeping civil order.

Agree on Terrorist.

Rapist, So keeping them in prison would constitute Cruel & Unusual Punishment in my mind. (Although they do deserve it)

So specifically for Cop Killers, that 1 I will admit I am bias. (My focus in life has always been on Law Enforcement) But in general Attacking a Police Officer shows a complete lack of respect for authority, and tbh it isn't unreasonable to think they would kill a Correctional Officer. Additionally it serves on an attack on the Government which should kind of fall under the idea of terrorism.

Note: I am from the U.S.

4. SteveW

Any one in prison on an assault or murder charge is capable of killing a correctional officer.

5. OP
    OP
    BasicLethargy

Fair. Although at least in the United States, many Criminal Organizations actually consider it a last resort to kill a Police Officer, because they know it will be bad for them.

6. SteveW

You may think this a little odd, but I do believe assaulting a police officer should carry heavier penalty than a civilian. That is a deterrent, and in that occupation some sort of protection / prevention is needed.

Killing someone is a different ball game, and should be treated equally.

7. OP
    OP
    BasicLethargy

Yeah, Like I said... I have a bias in this area. To be honest, killing someone should be an eye for an eye thing, but my opinion I guess is kind of in line with Politics as I know we will never have every murderer face the death penalty.

8. swiss

swiss New Member DSG Member

I'm not a fan of death penalty. It is not only expensive but also doesn't really do anything in terms of "punishing" someone. In my opinion, sitting in a cell for the rest of your life is a much worse punishment than death. It kills you slowly from the inside but there's no escape. Death, to a lot of convicts, is kind of a release I think. Plus, death penalty rarely hurt as they are usually over quickly. So the "eye for an eye" thing isn't true either because murderers who deserve death penalty torture their victims first or rape them etc.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NinSiro

NinSiro New Member DSG Member

Eh, cops are just humans and killing them shouldn't give more of a punishment than killing civilians. Plus the death penalty is boring. If they want to rape and murder let them get raped and murdered in prison.

10. Ruby

Ruby Administrator/ Tech Nerd Staff Member Administrator Designer DS Gamer Tech DSG Member

Maybe if the televised executions it would make people think twice.